Movie Analysis "Frozen 1"

 Speech Act Analysis on "Frozen 1" Movie





1. Declarative

This the example of speech act can be found, when Anna said wants marry with Prince Hans. However, Elsa rejected it.

a. Elsa

Elsa : Marriage?

Anna : Yes

Elsa : I’m sorry. I’m confused

Anna : Well, we haven’t worked out all the details ourselves. We need a few days to plan the ceremony. Of course, we’ll have soup, roast, and ice cream. And then….(GASP). Wait. Would we live here?

- Elsa : Here?

Prince Hans : Absolutely

Elsa : Wait.. slow down. No one’s brother are staying here. No one is getting married

Anna :Wait. What ?

Elsa : May I talk to you, please? Alone.

Anna : No. Whatever you have to say, you can say to both of us.

Elsa : Fine. You can’t marry a man you just met. You can it’s true love.

From the above, what Elsa say is declarative. Because she feel Anna can not marry man who just met. She believes that is not true love. Because they just met for the first time.

b. Anna

This speech act can be found when the people think if Elsa is a monster. However, Anna believe if Elsa, her sister. That’s not a monster.

Duke: You! Is there sorcery in you, too? Are you a monster, too?

Anna : No. No. I'm completely ordinary.

Hans : That's right she is.. ...in the best way

Anna : And my sister's not a monster.

Duke :She nearly killed me.

Hans : You slipped on ice

Duke : Her ice!

Anna : It was an accident. She was scared. She didn't mean it. She didn't mean any of this.... Tonight was my fault. I pushed her. So I'm the one that needs to go after her.

From the context above, what Anna say is declarative. She believe if Elsa that’s not monster. Even she blame herself. And she believe if her sister didn’t mean that.

2. Expressive

a. Elsa dan Anna

This ecample can be found when Elsa and Anna meet each other. After long time they can’t meet.

  ELSA : ...Hi.

    ANNA : Hi me...? Oh. Um. Hi.

    ELSA : ...You look beautiful.

    ANNA : Thank you. You look beautifuller. I mean, not fuller. You don't look fuller, but more beautiful.

Based on the text above. What Elsa and Anna say is expressive. When Elsa praise if Anna is beautiful. After that Anna say thank you. And praise if Elsa is more beautiful.

3. Directive

a. Elsa

This example can be found when Elsa child. She is afraid because her power become stronger. And when The King wants hug Elsa, she refuse it. Because she afraid will be hurt her father.

 Elsa : I’m scared. It’s getting stronger!

 The King : Getting upset only makes it worse. Calm down

 Elsa : No! Don’t touch me! Please, I don’t want to hurt you

Based on the bellow, that’s can be identify directive. Because Elsa warning her father to don’t touch her. Because she don’t want hurt her father.

b. Anna

This example can be found when Anna and Kristoff chased by wolves. When they on the way to North Mountain.

Anna : Get ready to jump, Sven.

Kristoff : You don’t tell him what to do.

Based on the bellow, that’s can be identify directive. Because Anna asked Sven to jump.

4. Commissives

a. Elsa and Anna

This context can be found. When Elsa and Anna was a little. Anna asked Elsa to build a snowman.

Anna : Elsaa! Elsa! Wake up. Wake up. Wake up

Elsa : Anna, go back to sleep

Anna : I just can’t. The sky is awake, so I’m awake. So, we have to play.

Elsa : Go play by yourself.

Anna : Do you want to build snowman

In that example, we can see that’s commissive. Because Anna give Elsa offering to build a snowman. And Elsa asked Anna to play by yourself.

5. Representative

a. Elsa

This example can be found when Anna come to Icy Kingdom made by Elsa.

Elsa : I never knew what I was capable of.

Anna : I’m so sorry about what happened. If I’d have known.

Elsa : No, no, no. It’s okay. You don’t have to apologize but you should probably go.

In this example, that’s representative. Elsa inform to Anna if she don’t need to apologize. And Elsa give Anna suggestion to go from there.

b. Anna

This example can be found when Anna on the way to North Mountain with Kristoff.

Kristoff : Hang on! We like to go fast

Anna : I like fast

Kristoff : Get your feet down. This is fresh lacquer. Seriously, were you raised in a barn?

Anna : No, I was raised in a castle

Based on the example that is representative. Because Anna informed if she like fast and she was raised in a castle.


Comments